In 1927, noted Harvard doctor Francis W Peabody pointed out the “secret to care of the patient is in caring for the patient.” It seems logical – right?
But why is it when you go to the doctor they only seem to “care” about your symptoms, not you as a person? Why have we moved away from holistic healthcare?
The reason depends on who you ask, but most feel that being a doctor has transitioned away from a calling to help people, and into its current form – a business.
Holistic and Integrative is the answer
Fortunately, many doctors across the nation are transitioning away from the “business” of symptom management and returning to the “business” of treating the whole person: Mind, Body and Spirit.
These caring souls are referred to as holistic or integrative doctors.
They seek to restore and maintain your health and wellness by understanding the unique set of circumstances the make up your life, including the full range of physical, emotional, mental, social, spiritual and environmental influences that can affect your health.
By truly personalizing your care, they not only address your immediate health problem(s), but more importantly, they can delve into the deeper causes of the disease or illness to find the root causes of your issues.
In addition, they have the time and flexibility to employ strategies that focus on prevention, which help foster the development of healthy behaviors and skills that you can use throughout their life.
You’re the Guiding Principle
First and foremost, they believe you are the most important part of healthcare.
Next, they believe:
- The patient and practitioner are partners in the healing process.
- All factors that influence health, wellness and disease are taken into consideration, including body, mind, spirit and community.
- Providers use all healing sciences to facilitate the body’s innate healing response.
- Effective interventions that are natural and less invasive are used whenever possible.
- Good medicine is based in good science. It is inquiry driven and open to new paradigms.
- Alongside the concept of treatment, the broader concepts of health promotion and the prevention of illness are paramount.
- Individuals need care that is personalized to best address the their unique conditions, needs and circumstances.
In the end, your health is everything, and everything affects your health. That’s why it’s important for your doctor to look at all aspects of your life. Then, provide you with the time, access, and experience to help you achieve your holistic healthcare needs, goals and desires.
If you are looking for a little more (let’s be honest; a lot more) from your doctor than management of your symptoms; then you owe to yourself to learn more about holistic healthcare how an IdealMD affiliated doctor can change your life.
For more information, call 844-433-2563 or go online at IdealMD.com.